Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Dream For A Cure

It suddenly occurred to me that our JDRF walk is just over two months away!


ONLY TWO MONTHS!!!

Where has the time gone? In the spirit of “The Walk For A Cure” I am re-posting one of my favorite posts from the old blog. And TONIGHT when I get home… I am going to get working on our walk video!
I have a dream.


My dream consists of not having to prick my sons tiny fingers 8-10 times a day in order to test the glucose levels in his blood.

My dream consists of being able to feed my son a meal without first having to weigh and measure the food I am giving him.

My dream consists of being able to give that food to him without having to think about what it will do to his blood glucose levels once it enters his body, and the best way to manage that particular food based on the amount of carbohydrates, protein or fat it contains.

My dream consists of being able to give my son a bath without worrying that the water is too warm and what that warm water will do to his blood glucose levels.

My dream consists of being able to put my son to bed at night without worry of his blood glucose levels going too high during the night – or worse going too low.

My dream consists of not having to get up during the night to check my sons blood glucose levels so that we know he is safe… and so that we can correct those levels when he is not in a safe range.

My dream consists of not having to have my son lie down on the floor every other night so that I can outfit him with an infusion set for his insulin pump which delivers multiple doses of life support to him around the clock.

My dream consists of being able to send my son to school without need of a plan that both his teachers and the school nurse must be made aware of and must follow to the letter in order to keep him alive while he is there.

My dream consists of being able to send my son out to play without worry of the activities he engages in bringing his blood glucose dangerously low.

My dream consists of not having to worry about him ANYTIME he is out of my sight.

My dream consists of my son not having to explain to others when he is older why he sometimes gets lightheaded, cranky, and has blurred vision.

My dream consists of my son one day being able to have a sleepover at a friend’s house without also having me or his dad there.

My dream consists of my son one day being able to drive without having to worry about becoming hypoglycemic behind the wheel and potentially injuring himself and/or others.

My dream consists of my son, as he ages, not having to worry about this disease damaging his eyes, circulatory system, heart, or kidneys.

My dream consists of my son never having to worry that his son or daughter will have to worry about all of these things when he passes on the susceptibility of this disease to them.

My dream is that one day in the not too distant future my family and I will be able to look back on today and think of it fondly as a period of time we went through – but no longer have to endure.

I am talking about the dream for a Cure.

A Cure for Type 1 Diabetes.

4 comments:

  1. What a tear-jerker! My dream is your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, It's a beautifil dream, it makes me so sad... my son is type 1 as yours, and nobody can't say when you see it the energy, the time we aare giving 24/7... I have a blog also, in french, as I'm French :-) I wich i could put a link to this page and a translation on my blog http://didblois.canalblog.com
    my mail didblois@gmail.com
    do you agree ?
    Have a good sunday
    Sophie
    ps : i don't know what to choose as profile, sorry

    ReplyDelete